Friday, February 28, 2014

Happy!?!



From Wikipedia: Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive of pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

Here's something you may or may not know about me. I consider myself to be a happy person most of the time. Although I am first to admit that I get stressed, upset, mad, etc. just like everyone else. However, lately I haven't been that happy. By happy I mean positive. I had a rough week this week, like in tears at work rough-What?!?! Who the hell am I? I cry at sappy shit on tv and the internet, but I don't cry at work! Except this wasn't the first time I have done it recently.

Then after being sad, I would be pissed. Great combo, hey? Not to mention the poor people in my path that had to deal with me.

I left work to log my run on the treadmill. While running, I thought of this story that I will sum up real quick:
Every morning a man went down the street to buy a newspaper from a stand. Every morning the man selling the paper was a dick. However, every morning the man greeted the seller with a happy countenance/greeting. Another person watched this happen...and finally asked the man, why do you continue to be so nice to him? He obvisoulsy doesn't care if you are nice. The man replied, "Why should I let him control my happiness, I am in control of how I want to be, and I don't want to be a dick or negative, he is not in control of me."

As I was running, I realized that was exactly what I was doing. I was letting things, people, thoughts that I cannot control determine my happiness. When in fact the only person who can do that is ME!

So I'm putting my positive pants back on, and focusing on what I can control, and letting things go that I can't.  

A few positive thoughts:
February on its way out...Jason survived turning 40.


Zoriana is 8 today! Yay!

Natia is home sick today, my house has been wiped down you could practically eat on any surface, laundry done, and my long run done.

February miles 155.







1 comment:

MomRunningFromCancer said...

I hear ya! I have been very stressed lately due to work. It is a good reminder that we are in control of our feelings. My recent mantra has been . . . Too much work, not enough time and tired of dealing with crap!
But No more!
Enjoy the moments!