Sunday, December 8, 2013

The blogger who doesn't...

So having a long month of a not so great November, prompted by a not so busy December weekend gave me a lot of time to think and reflect, sadly the post I wanted to write came out in my 12 mile run today, I hope to capture some of the musings, but surely won't be able to recreate the clarity that only running can bring...
The good, the bad, and the ugly
For those of you who follow my blog, I did a lot of racing this year, namely a lot of long distance racing. Some were better than others, but let's face it by the end of my last race on November 2nd I was done. I knew it mentally, but also had a foot pain, that forced me to stop running for a bit.
Bill and I at the end of the Fall 50 on 10/26 ~25 miles a piece and still smiling :)
Our finisher medal and 2nd place for Pairs Mixed
Me, Lindsey (her 1st half~YAY), and Jamie after Tyranena

While I wasn't running, I attended a conference in Hartford, CT. I got to catch up with my friend who I met in Charlotte in 2009. My brother Doug came down from Vermont and spent a night with us. We were a lot to handle, but he hung in there like a champ!
Suzanna and I in Connecticut
\
Suzanna, Doug, and I behind the scenes art museum tour

The conference was wonderful, but the way home, not-so-much. I ended up stranded in Cleveland, OH for an extra day or so. Missed a extra day of work, and then was asked to make a change at work after coming back. It turned out to be one of the most stressful weeks I have had in a while. I also found out that I did not certify for National Boards that week...thankfully I was home home when I found that out...home for deer hunting.
I have never deer hunted in life, but had agreed to give it a whirl this year. Many of my friends who have known me for a while, couldn't believe I was going hunting. I wanted the bonding experience with my family and am so glad that I decided to do it. Turned out being home with my family and friends, sitting quietly in the woods was what I needed most. I felt a calmness as I sat in my stand, and a sense of direction of things I need to do in my life, and things I need to let go. 
Trying not to freeze
Haleigh and I in the stand
My city gurl is countrified...

Thanksgiving was great, followed by a fun Craft Day of Black Friday shopping with Jamie and Heidi. We missed Julie, who was in Houston, but hoping to get together over Christmas.
Menards was amazeballs!
Just so we could text Jason inappropriately, lol...
November ended and I sat down and looked at my miles...or lack thereof. Not surprising, I had my lowest miles for the year. A whopping 49 miles. However, I did some math and after skipping December first if I ran at least 3.9 miles a day for the rest of month I will have my highest yearly mileage ever! 1500 or bust. Well I am my own biggest competitor, and of course that has kicked me into high gear. 
What amazes me, that since I have taken this challenge upon myself, my focus, my clarity, has come back. My blog states that running is cheaper than therapy, but as my brother Doug and I recently discussed, it is BETTER than therapy. 
This past week I have felt so much more grounded. Outside stimuli that recently upset me, gives me pause, but like water on a duck's back, I let it roll off. Taking time off of running is good for me, but too much time for me is bad. 
Running continues to remind me that I carve out that time for ME, so that I can be better everywhere else, a wife, mom, friend, coworker, teacher. 
Running is my balance, my reminder this weekend during my long run, without it I am not the me I like to be.

Sunday Funday!
and a Packer victory!
The little ladies who benefit from my running :)







No comments: