Monday, May 27, 2013

Cellcom Green Bay Marathon 2013 recap

The sticker says it all-Every mile earned Never Given
Well I would like to say that this race rocked like my last few races, but unfortunately that is not the case. I have some good, bad, and ugly things about this race. 
The good-My family came with me. I love it when they come to races, but know that it is not always fun to wait around while I am running. Green Bay-I love GB, Lambeau Field, and the hometown feel the race gives off. It is well organized, and spectators, volunteers are amazing. 
Running over to my fam to whine

The bad-The weather. For me. I have come to the conclusion that I am not a warm weather runner. Duh, not sure why it has taken me this long to figure out, probably because I am cold most of the time and hate it, but running is the reverse, I heat up quickly and am never cold on a run. So for me, it was too warm for me to do what I wanted to do.
Walking-common theme for this race

The ugly-I wanted to do well at this race, and had every intention of putting my body to the test. See note above-I didn't change my game plan before the race even though I knew it was going to be warm. 
It's blurry, but that is a smile to be done

My first few miles came in right where I wanted to be, and I was feeling pretty good until mile 9, that was it. Not going to mince words here, I felt like shit. I went from an 8:44 at mile 9 to a 10:00 mile at mile 10. The weird thing was that I felt slightly light headed, slightly nauseous nothing that was putting the alarms on, but I just didn't feel great. When I saw my family around this time, I told them it wasn't going well. I was going to have to do some walking. I asked them if they thought I could switch over to the half, I even told them to go relax and have a beer (Amy-it's 8:30 in the morning-we are not doing that). 
Natia, me, Zori, Hayden, and Shaun
My cousin Shaun and I

I continued on my way-although I was feeling bad about my race I was feeling guilty that they drove up to see me do this and I wasn't doing well. When I saw them again, it was around mile 15 1/2. I stopped to talk to them,  Jason said it seems like you need a partner, I said I do that's what he remembers saying. I remember him saying I could run with you, and I said yes, PLEASE!?!

Now I am publicly admitting that this happened, Jason took off his shirt and handed his stuff to my mom and hit the course with me. We broke down the run by water stops running most 1/2 to 3/4 of every mile and walking. I drank Gatorade and water at every stop, grabbed ice and sucked on that. He was apprehensive about being there, but was there for me. I think he must look pretty good as a runner, because he got a lot of support from spectators cheering. (he does look good with his shirt off ;) As we got back towards downtown he planned his route back to the finish. Without him I don't know what I would have done. Thank you Jason, you are the best!! I finished with my head up and a smile, but chalked this one up as a race that didn't go as planned.
Zori totally wanted to be in this pic, why not-couldn't do what I do w/o them!

My mom and the girls were at the finish. I was so happy to see them, and find Jason. We found my cousin, who had just rocked the half marathon in the parking lot with his son. We chatted with him for a bit and then went to eat.

Interesting take from the day. I drank more than any other race. After the race had the drinks provided, went to eat and downed 2 more waters there, grabbed a Starbucks for the ride home and didn't go to the bathroom since before the race until I got home, and my pee was still bright yellow-besides telling you too much-you know what that tells me, my body was hot, slightly dehydrated and HATES to run in warm weather. Ok, body you win. I will listen.
Marathon #6 in the books:
Overall PlaceBib #First NameLast NameHometownAge GroupAge Group PlaceSexGender PlaceChip TimeGun TimePace
764370AmyZembroskiMuskego, WIF35-3946F24404:29:3004:29:5510:17

7 comments:

Karen said...

Running in the heat is awful. This was my 3rd of 4 previous marathons that the weather stunk (GB 2012 with the cancellation and Cal International in 2012 with a monsoon), so I'm kind of a pro at shitty weather and it didn't bother me much, kinda like "of course the weather is bad, it's marathon day".

Don't beat yourself up too much about how this race went, it was almost as hot as last year when they cancelled the race! Just finishing is a huge accomplishment, congrats!! :)

Rachel said...

Oh I'm so sorry that the race didn't go well for you. Kim and I were rooting for you from the back of the pack! At least your hot hubby joined you for some of the race!

It definitely got hot quickly that day. Thank goodness for all the water stations and ice they were handing out. I'm much better in the cool weather for racing too. I'm done with PR attempts till the fall.

Mothers Between the Covers said...

This was my first marathon and all that training in the cold didn't prepare me for the hot morning. I am glad i am not the only one who struggled with the heat! I drank tons of water, my quads cramped up terribly anyway, and still managed to be very sick to my stomach as soon as we pulled out of Lambeau. I felt like I couldnt drink anymore even if I wanted to!! Oh well.... I would still do another one! :). Hope to meet you at one in the future!
Kate

Nicki said...

Please keep yourself hydrated. When I read the end of the recap, I was really worried about you. While not what you were looking for, you ran a great race under less than ideal conditions. :-) Every race can't be Blue Ridge.

David H. said...

I think it's one of those races where you take the lessons learned and just move on to the next one. Running in the heat is so tough and with these up and down temperatures this month there's certainly no way to prepare for that!

Ugly Duckling said...

Other than the heat would you do this race again?

Amy Zembroski said...

Yes, I have done the half several times before, love the stadium, the meal, the crowds, love this race a lot!