Monday, July 30, 2012

Heatbreaker...Sidebreaker :(

The inaugural Heatbreaker Indoor Half Marathon took place this past Saturday.  This race is the sister race to the Icebreaker Indoor Marathon held in January.  The beautiful thing about this race is the conditions.  It is climate controlled.  It is a constant temperature of about 55 degrees.  You run at the Petitt National Ice Center.  After all of the hot running this summer, 55 degrees sounded perfect.

My friend Bill had given me a code for 50% off, so that made this race even more fun, I love to shop and love deals!

I was in the 1:00 heat which was strange for me because it presented a little thought of how to eat in the morning.  Also, I was hanging around the house, it didn't seem like a race day.  

I left my house as the girls were eating lunch, and they planned to come up and see me near the start.  My brother, who was also coming into town for the Brewers game was going to stop in with his wife and one of his kids.  I was excited about that.  

When I got to the race, I picked up my packet and found Bill.  We had planned on runinng together and trying to go for a 1:45.  This sounded doable and I was looking forward to the run.  The start was delayed for a few minutes due to technical issues, which gave me a few minutes to chat with my family who had arrived.
Drew and I pre-race

The girls and I pre-race
Finally we were told we could start.  We headed over to the starting corner and took off.  We settled into our groove, the girls were giving out high fives to not only Bill and I but to anyone who would give one back.  That made me smile.  They all left after a few laps (spectating in 55 degrees isn't as much fun I guess).  We were feeling good and the race was going smoothly.  I even danced a bit when they played my requested song, Teach Me How to Dougie.
Coming around-Natia's high five
I did some Gu and Gatorade around lap 20 or so.  Bill and I had separated but had just gotten back together.  The suddenly around lap 25, I got a painful cramp in my side.  I ran through it for a bit, but it was twisting and sharp, so I stopped to walk.  I started running again, but had to stop again before I could complete a lap.  This went on for a few laps.  I seldom get cramps, so this was not familiar territory.  As Bill went by he suggested a stretch it out.  I tried to stretch it out, it wasn't going anywhere.  Finally, I was able to complete full laps without walking.  When they called I had 3 1/2 laps left to go (1mile) it came back with a vengeance.  WTH??  I just wanted to finish.  I had to walk one more time before the mile was up, but finished all 48 laps.

I was glad this race was over, frustrated by the pain.  My legs felt great the whole time, but my side made it not possible to do what I wanted to do.


Saturday night, I relaxed kicked my feet up, enjoyed a delicious brown IPA while watching the Olpmpics.


The strange thing?  My side still sort of hurt!!



Sunday I did 5 miles feeling great, but later in the day my side started to hurt again and worse.  Now I am wondering, did I pull a muscle?  Do I have another hernia (I have had 3 but none were painful)?  Has anyone had something similar to this?

I just want it to go away, I've got a streak to continue.


Results:  1:52:19

3 comments:

MotherRunner said...

Tough break Amy. I hadn't had a side cramp in YEARS but on a 13 miler last weekend I got a really, really bad one. It was in between (or underneath) my ribs on my left side, and it hurt like a mother. It was sore for two days, and hasn't been back. I feel your pain - hopefully your next run is better!

Falon said...

Oh side pain stucks, so glad it isn't a common occurence. I must say, I can't imagine doing an indoor race... however these heat makes it sound pretty tempting.

David H. said...

I hope you're starting to feel better! I found your blog through #RunChat - thank you for submitting! I can't wait to follow you along!